The architect and real estate developer Markus P. Swittalek does research in the field of Enlightenment, Classicism and medicine in the eighteenth century.
How did the flow of information take place in architecture and medical science under the conditions of the period prior to industrialization, what connections existed between politics on one hand and architecture and urban design on the other hand? Dr. Swittalek’s research efforts consider the examination of manuscripts, prints, plans, buildings and interiors to widen our modern understanding of dynamic changes in the Habsburg Empire during the period of the American Declaration of Independence and the French Revolution. By tracing the history of institutions and building structures, their reception and changes over time he develops a new understanding and new perspectives.
Markus Swittalek’s current projects deal in particular with the implementation of healthcare measures in the urban environment, referring to historic ties between urban design and the medical sciences and the nonverbal (architectural) expression of political measures. Prior to this he examined manuscripts of the eighteenth century, the relationship between freemasonry and medical institutions as well as analyses of historic building structures as premise for the setup of restoration concepts.
Interdisciplinary approaches are key to Dr. Swittalek, who has adhered to them since his studies in Vienna and Aachen and now through his board membership in numerous relevant institutions and societies, such as the ÖGKGS (Austrian Society for the Protection of Cultural Property) the IHSW (Institute for Social and Human Studies) at the Austrian Defense Academy and ICOMOS AUSTRIA, the Austrian National Comity of the International Council on Monuments and Sites. He builds on his knowledge and experience in his practical work as an architect, in the creation of studies and analyses in consulting as well as lectures in Europe and Asia. The contents and his visions are delivered to a wide spread audience.
Markus Swittalek’s career guided him to Hong Kong, Dusseldorf / Germany, New York City, Graz / Austria, Dresden / Germany, Phoenix / AZ and Vienna / Austria. In the academic arena he has been engaged with the RWTH Aachen University, Aachen / Germany, the Vienna University of Technology, Vienna / Austria and the Medical University of Vienna.
- Das Josephinum – eine Militärakademie, in: Unser Auftrag, Vienna/Austria, p 16-17.
- Josephinischer Klassizismus, in: Faszination Josephinum, Verlagshaus der Ärzte, Vienna/Austria, p 51 ff.
- Portierhaus, in: Wiener Baugeschichten, Bucher Verlag, Hohenems/Austria, p 77.
- Gutachten, in: Otto Wagner Wohnung, Generali Immo. AG, Vienna/Austria.
- Guest critic at E260 – Institute of Urban Design and Landscape Architecture
in classes of Professor Christoph Luchsinger, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna/Austria.
- Guest teacher for Architecture and the Enlightenment in classes and seminars of Professor Sonia Horn,
Medical University of Vienna, Vienna/Austria.
- Guest teacher and guest critic in classes and seminars at E253 – Institute of Architecture and Design,
Professor Cuno Brullmann, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna/Austria.
- Student Assistant tutoring bachelor students classes at E253 – Institute of Architecture and Design,
Professor Anton Schweighofer, Vienna University of Technology, Vienna/Austria.
- Student Assistant tutoring bachelor students classes at Building Construction and Design II,
Professor Wolfgang Döring, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen/Germany.
Reviews and Media
- Aus dem Rahmen, with Karl Hohenlohe, Kunsthistorisches Museum, Channel ORF III.
- Nextroom, Az W Architekturzentrum Wien.
- Was schätzen Sie?, with Karl Hohenlohe, FJK, Channel ORF III.
- Willkommen im Korianderland, in: Falter 44/09, Vienna/Austria, p 47.
- Flaschenhals – Überraschend großes Innenleben, in: Deutsche Bauzeitschrift 7/2008,
Gütersloh/Germany, p 94 f.
- Stil-Altbau mit modernem Touch, in: Österreich Immobilien July13th, Vienna/Austria, p 1 ff.
- 20 Jahre Stadtverschönerung, in: Immobilien Focus Aug./05, Vienna/Austria, p 10.
- Stadterneuerung, in: ÖIZ 13/2005, Vienna / Austria, p 231.
- Ein Preis für kluge Sanierer, in: Kurier Sonderbeilage June 21st , Vienna/Austria, p 1 ff.
- Luxus- und Billigschiene haben Zukunft, in: Die Presse, October 16th, Vienna / Austria, p 13.
Markus Swittalek‘s lectures reach out to a broader audience also outside the academic arena. The following events represent just a fraction of his lines of communication with the public, kids included:
- The Construction of a Healthy Society, EAHMH conference – Risk and Disaster in Medicine and Health, Lisbon/Portugal.
- Wie hat das Krankenhaus früher ausgesehen, wie sieht es heute aus? Kinderuni Wien, Vienna/Austria.
- Requirements for Museums against Armed Conflicts, International Conference on Risk Management for Museums, Ankara/Turkey.
- Doctor technicae (Ph.D.), Vienna University of Technology, Vienna/Austria.
- Diploma (comparable to Master of Science) at the Vienna University of Technology, Vienna/Austria.
- Visiting student at the TU Brunswick/Germany, Columbia University, New York/NY, ENOPE Athens/Greece.
- Student at RWTH Aachen University (Rheinländisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule) Aachen/Germany.
- Student at the Vienna University of Technology, Vienna/Austria.
Contact: markus [DOT] swittalek [AT] gabrielepossanner [DOT] eu